ERI PanAm Thermal Generating Ltd.
INNOVA was selected by ERI PanAm Thermal Generating Ltd. to do a complete acoustical retrofit of a 96 MW diesel power generation plant housing six Wartsilä 18V46 oil-fired internal combustion engines capable of producing 16 MW each. The plant contributed 62 dBA at the nearest sensitive area (NSA) - 820 ft. (250 m) away.
SCOPE OF WORK
INNOVA designed, supplied and installed;
- acoustic building ridge vent
- acoustic upgrade of the wall and roof systems
- acoustic barrier wall around the existing combustion
- exhaust silencers
- combustion exhaust duct lagging
- inlet and exhaust silencing for 102 radiator coolers
- additional exhaust silencers during scheduled engine overhaul shutdowns
The target was established as The World Bank Standard of 45 dBA at 820 ft. (250 m) at the nearest sensitive area.
- Radiator coolers
- Building ridge ventilation exhaust
- Combustion exhaust silencers
- Combustion exhaust ducts
- Building roof and walls
UNIQUE PROJECT HURDLES
The plant had to remain operational during construction in order for PanAm to meet its minimum contractual supply obligations of 60 MW. This necessitated that much of the work be done at night, under less than optimum conditions. Close coordination with the operational staff of the plant was essential in ensuring that the language and cultural differences did not present communication barriers that could have a negative impact on the quality and safety aspects of the project.
Post-construction testing confirmed that INNOVA’s noise mitigation measures performed as designed. The building ridge vent design resulted in the additional benefits of improved ventilation and lower temperatures in the engine hall.