Edison Mission Energy Company
In 2005, Edison Mission installed 14 wind turbines on the Forward site and 10 wind turbines on the Lookout site. Upon completion of the wind farm, nearby residents complained of the noise from the turbines. Edison believed the noise was low frequency, possibly from blade-pass or from the generator and lube oil cooling fans. The contract between Suzlon (the wind turbine manufacturer) and Edison includes an acoustical performance guarantee to not disturb the local residences.
SCOPE OF WORK
Edison hired INNOVA as “Owners Acoustical Engineers” to provide the following services:
- Review the noise clause in the contract between Edison and Suzlon (the turbine manufacturer)
- Review the applicable noise regulations
- Review the existing acoustical reports
- Gather noise levels on the Suzlon Turbine
- Build acoustical models for both the Forward and Lookout sites
- Site sound level survey
- 14 Suzlon 2,100 kW wind turbines on the Forward site
- 10 Suzlon 2,100 kW wind turbines on the Lookout site
Analysis of noise mitigation options ongoing.