Innova Global (formerly ATCO Emissions Management) has a future opportunity for a seasoned EPCM Senior Project Manager based in the Calgary office.
The Senior Project Manager plans, directs, organizes, coordinates, and leads the full range of assigned construction project management staff, resources and activities within Innova under the direction of the Director, Operations for the purpose of achieving the construction, administrative, and financial objectives through the application of well-developed skills in project management, construction management and planning, assignment allocation, financial/resource stewardship and management, partnership building, and leadership in the execution of work. The Senior Project Manager will have overall responsibility for project(s) in excess of $40M with support from an assigned project team.
The Senior Project Manager reports directly to the Director, Operations and oversees assigned Project Coordinators/Project Administrators.
- Oversees assigned project management staff and participates in the estimates, plans, design reviews, monitoring of Industrial projects, schedules, coordination of construction processes, including the selection, hiring, and oversight of specialty trade contractors; site preparation, including land clearing and earth moving; sewage systems; landscaping and road construction; building construction, including excavation and laying of foundations and erection of the structural framework, floors, walls, and roofs; and building systems, including fire-protection, electrical, plumbing, air-conditioning and heating, process piping and controls systems;
- Evaluates execution strategies to ensure the implementation of best combined utilization of materials, equipment, labour and sub-contractors;
- Oversees the planning and manages the proper resourcing of staff, sub-contractors, equipment, vehicles, and materials;
- Ensures project staff maintain health, safety, security, environmental and quality standards in all aspects of the project;
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external partners, clients, vendors, and sub-contractors to ensure attainment of assigned objectives;
- Supervises, develops and asseses project management, project coordination staff under his/her control, ensuring their training and development to meet personal and business requirements;
- Advises and participates in the construction pre-planning and bid process, providing technical expertise on construction techniques and methods to establish the most beneficial project execution strategies;
- Maintains ongoing communication with the client, addressing issues and deficiencies as required;
- Ensures schedules are maintained and effective project costs are within budget;
- Completes a full review and has an understanding of construction budgets, drawings and detailed scope of work for assigned project;
- Prepares a pre-mobilization execution plan, detailing an overall project construction schedule, assuring realistic target dates and benchmarks are proposed to execute a project successfully;
- Maintains accurate project record documentation and project files;
- Travels to project sites as needed to address pre-construction kick off meeting, progress meetings and overall project status updates;
- Ensures all project and client specific HSE and QA policies and guidelines are met;
- Administers change orders as per client requirements;
- Maintains accurate accounting records in accordance with QMS procedures;
- Operates within ISO Quality system and company safety policy in all phases of assignments;
- Upon project completion, provides a Construction Close-Out Report summarizing project closing costs and any variances from that of project bid cost;\
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Post-secondary degree in Engineering or a related technical field;
- A minimum of 20 years’ experience in construction management/project management, as well as previous experience with large Power Plant projects;
- Completion of a recognized project management program and PMP designation;
- Proven leadership, business acumen, analytical capabilities and negotiation skills;
- A self-starter with above average experience/knowledge in client and internal relationship building in a cross-cultural environment;
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and time management abilities;
- Strong problem solving skills combined with a creative spirit; and a highly inquisitive approach;
- Proficient using scheduling software and accounting systems;
- Proficient using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, P6 (Primavera) and MSProject;
- Previous experience working in an engineering consulting environment;
- Mandatory experience working on EPC & EPCM type projects.